Theta Lambda Sigma Announces Swim1922 Scholarship for Local Students
Swim 1922 is Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated’s partnership with USA Swimming, a groundbreaking initiative that seeks to strengthen USA Swimming’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Since 2014 our organizations have partnered to increase swim participation and decrease drowning rates in the community.
To further the mission of Swim1922, the Theta Lambda Sigma Alumnae Chapter of Cary, NC will award up to 8 scholarships to students attending elementary, middle, or high school in Cary or surrounding Western Wake County area schools (i.e., Holly Springs, Apex, Morrisville, or Fuquay-Varina). The scholarship will pay for one complete session of group swimming lessons (8 lessons) at the Triangle Aquatic Center located in Cary, NC. Winners will also receive swimming related gift items and other prizes.
Students must submit their application between May 15, 2021 – June 4, 2021. The scholarship is for group instruction subject to class availability and other guidelines of Triangle Aquatic Center (TAC). The application must be submitted electronically using the below link. A lottery system will be used to select recipients if more applications are received than the number of scholarships that are available.
To qualify for the scholarships students must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants should attend elementary, middle, or high school in Wake County (preferably in Western Wake County)
- Scholarships are intended as need-based. Recipients must have qualified for Wake County Public School System’s (WCPSS) free or reduced lunch program in the most recent school year. Documentation from WCPSS Child Nutrition Services will be required if a scholarship is awarded. Students with special physical or cognitive needs must meet the requirements of TAC.
- Application must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Applicant should be considered a beginning swimmer. Beginning swimmer program:
- Beginning swimmers are introduced to basic stroke movement and learn how to be more comfortable in the water. The focus is on pool rules, breathing, kicking and gliding technique, returning to the wall.
- Learn to jump in the water and resurface, float on their back, swim without flotation using beginning swimmer techniques.
- Willing to complete lessons in Summer or Fall 2021 unless otherwise agreed by TAC and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Failure to register for and complete lessons within the timeframe specified by the sponsors will result in forfeiture of the scholarship. All swim facility rules and regulations will apply to the recipient.
- Parent agrees to ensure student attends at least 90% of the swim lessons.
- Parent must sign a Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. and Triangle Aquatic Center waiver of liability and any other required documents
- Parent must consent to Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority’s media release policy.
More information about the USA Swimming and Sigma Gamma Rho partnership including press releases are available at www.usaswimming.org/swim1922. If you have questions about Theta Lambda Sigma Chapter’s Swim1922 scholarship or the application process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.